Providence After School Alliance
Youth Engagement Specialist
The Providence After School Alliance is an initiative of the Mayor of Providence focused on developing a public/private after-school system for the children, youth and families of the city, with an initial focus on middle school youth, ages 11-14. PASA has developed and implemented a middle school system built around three neighborhood AfterZones, which operate as a community “campuses” of exciting and engaging after-school programs for youth ages 11-14 who attend Providence’s 6 middle schools. In addition to building and sustaining this model, PASA works to build the capacity of its public and private partners to meet the high quality standards established for the youth in the community.
Youth engagement specialists report directly to the respective AfterZone Site Coordinator and work collaboratively with each middle school’s youth population and AfterZone staff. The youth engagement specialists will also work with staff from the agency managing the individual AfterZone site and the staff of the Providence After School Alliance during program activities, orientation, training, and other capacity-building activities. Under the direction of the site supervisor, responsibilities of Youth Engagement Specialist’s include:
· assisting with all aspects of after school program set-up and clean-up
· printing and organizing attendance sheets and other data as well as helping with registration materials and mailings
· directing the flow of student traffic and organizing student transportation (including monitoring youth on buses/vans)
· aiding in the snack distribution
· Designing and submitting weekly lesson plans for middle school youth that are both fun and engaging experiences.
· Attending professional development addressing youth development and behavior management offered by PASA
· communicating via phone and written messages with parents and families
· attending monthly program partner meetings
· facilitating recruitment and special events
· registering students and updating data on the program’s online database
· Desire to work with middle school youth in a positive youth development atmosphere;
· Creativity, patience, a good work ethic, and a sense of humor;
· Previous work history with at least two years of experience; Experienceworking with youth
· High school diploma or GED.
· Proven experience in youth development and community-based programs;
· Previous experience working in a licensed childcare program or after school program
· Bilingual Spanish/English skills (or other languages);
· Knowledge of Providence and the AfterZone communities;
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience.
$8.50-$10.00 per hour, dependent upon experience and the hiring agency. This is a part-time position that operates during the school year over the course of (3) programming sessions, (26 weeks). When there is not a session running, Youth Engagement Specialists are not working unless there is a special event or recruitment effort at the school.
Before hired employees can begin, they will be required to have background checks, TB testing, and a physical. The position will start ASAP, and is seasonal employment (when schools are in session). Parents of Providence public middle school youth are encouraged to apply. Positions range from 16-25 hours per week. To apply, send a cover letter and resume to:
HR/ Office Coordinator
Providence After School Alliance
Providence, RI 02903
fax: (401) 228-3915