Youth Engagement Specialist
Work with a team of Providence’s leading organizations that provide safe, fun, and high-quality learning opportunities for young people after school. The Providence After School Alliance, with its public and private sector after-school providers, provide out of school time learning opportunities for hundreds of middle school and high school youth each year. Youth Engagement Specialists have direct interaction with young people in PASA’s programs, which ensure that young people have access to relationships and experiences that contribute to their success in and out of school. Youth Engagement Specialists lead activities, form professional relationships with youth, and support positive youth development by providing opportunities to practice real-world skills such as communication, teamwork, engagement in learning, problem solving, and perseverance.
The following sites are hiring Youth Engagement Specialists
Roger Williams Middle School (managed by the Boys & Girls Clubs of Providence)
DelSesto Middle School (managed by the Providence After School Alliance)
Esek Hopkins (managed by the Providence After School Alliance)
Nathan Bishop Middle School (managed by the Providence After School Alliance)
West Broadway Middle School (managed by the Providence After School Alliance)
This is a part-time, seasonal position. Hours range from 16-25 per week depending on the needs of each site. Program hours are Monday-Thursday from 2:00-6:00pm for 26 weeks between October and June. Selected Fridays will be required for ongoing planning and professional development. Rates of pay begin between $9.60 and $10.50 per hour, but may increase based on experience or job performance.
The majority of the Youth Engagement Specialist’s time will be spent collaboratively planning and leading Club AfterZone activities, such as games or projects that are engaging, yet provide learning opportunities for young people. Candidates should be prepared to communicate regularly with youth, families, and community partners. In addition to working directly with youth, Youth Engagement Specialists will also be responsible for logistical duties such as:
- Using an online database to register youth and manage attendance data.
- Helping to organize and effectively execute AfterZone protocols and procedures.
- Setting up program space before youth arrive, and cleaning up at the end of the day.
- Directing the flow of student traffic during transition times, such as arrival and departure.
- Assisting with program recruitment and special events, such as end-of-session celebrations.
- The Providence After School Alliance’s Quality Department provides professional development for Youth Engagement Specialist to ensure an understanding of Positive Youth Development, as well as continuing education to promote personal and professional growth of staff members.
- Through training and exposure to high-quality funded programs, Youth Engagement Specialist will gain knowledge of best practices in the field of Youth Development and have opportunities to carry them out.
- Youth Engagement Specialist will have leadership opportunities, such as the ability to become a Career Coach for youth, promotion to Assistant Site Coordinator, or referral to a position in our Summer programming.
- Youth Engagement Specialist will have access to a network of school faculty and admin, community partners, and other youth development professionals.
- Previous experience with planning activities for arts, sports, and/or skill-based projects
- Prior work history, with at least two years of working with school-aged youth
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and internet navigation
- High school diploma or GED
- Professional communication skills
- Proactive, organized, and punctual
- Creative, patient, and fun
- Proven experience in youth development, community based programs, or education
- Previous experience working in a licensed childcare program or after-school program.
- Bilingual skills, preferably Spanish/English
- Knowledge of Providence and the communities the Providence After School Alliance serves
To apply, please email your résumé and cover letter to Eric Collins (email@example.com) or submit it to the Providence After School Alliance, 81 Carpenter St, Providence, RI 02903.
Applicants will be interviewed for open positions until filled. Candidates will be hired as seasonal, hourly employees.
Candidates will be subject to National and State Background Checks as part of the hiring process.